Thursday of the Third Week of Lent - March 28, 2019



Every Lenten season, the Church invites us to dig deeper into our lives and examine ways we can draw closer to God and celebrate his resurrection. Readings like this are intended to help us take a closer look at ourselves. God calls us to come forward and to be reconciled, so that we may come to his house having done all the things he has asked of us. Writing this reflection has caused me to take a closer look into how my life has distracted me from worshiping the Lord.

Today’s reading from Jeremiah begins with the concept of listening: “Listen to my voice; then I will be your God and you shall be my people.” I have come to realize that it is not enough to passively have faith, be baptized, or just call myself Catholic. The faith, the baptism, the being Catholic must be active and acted upon each and every day.

As a college student, distractions are nearly impossible to avoid. By spending hours on technology, schoolwork, and other responsibilities, I often fail to take the time to focus on God. I rarely stop to praise or thank Him in the good moments I experience. Rather, I go to Him in times of need and too often catch myself not listening in return. It is important that we recognize the need to press the “pause button” in order to stop and listen to what God is saying.

In today’s gospel, I found myself struggling with the idea that “whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.” I want to be alongside the Lord, but I am sometimes so distracted from hearing His voice. We need to take advantage of this Lenten season, where our TV’s and cellphones might be turned off and where our lives are free from distractions. For it is these times that we might hear God’s call and follow Him in His ways. We are all incredibly loved by a God who does not care as much about our failures and sins as He does our desire to keep listening and reaching for His grace.

Q: How carefully do I listen and carry out God’s love in my life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023