Thursday after Ash Wednesday - March 7, 2019



In today’s gospel, Jesus said, “Whoever wishes to be my follower must deny his very self, take up his cross each day and follow in my steps.” The Lenten season is a perfect time to practice Jesus’ words. For me, Lent is a time to get back in touch with my faith and God. It is my “Religious New Year.”  I try to become more faith filled during the days of Lent. I always give up something and have ever since I was young.

In my youth, giving up things was something that all Catholic school kids did. For me, it was a challenge, but probably not a religious commitment. Now, as an adult, giving up something is my way of “taking up the cross each day.” It is my constant reminder throughout Lent to follow Jesus and strive to be more like him.

It would be easy for me simply to say that I am going to be a better person during Lent, or that I am going to pray more. It is easier said than done for me. That is why the sacrifice of giving something up during Lent can be my spiritual commitment. It holds me accountable. It is more than just refraining from chips or chocolate. It allows me to ponder my faith at inconvenient times throughout the day. Lent is a time to reflect on one’s spiritual growth, one’s relationship with God and one’s relationship with others. May we all deny our very selves, take up Jesus’ cross and follow in His footsteps this Lenten season.

Q: What Lenten sacrifice or practice will give you the opportunity to ponder your faith at inconvenient times throughout the day?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023