Friday of the Third Week of Lent - March 29, 2019



As I read over today’s scripture readings, the phrase “forgive all iniquity, and receive what is good, that we may render as offerings the bullocks from our stalls” continues to pull at me.  I like to think of myself as a forgiving person, but in looking back, I struggle more with that than I have admitted to myself.

The job of being a parent is the most rewarding one you will ever have, but as my boys get older and wiser, it is also the most challenging.  The older one is neuro-typical and the younger one struggles with ADHD and anxiety.  The years it took to find out what his struggles were and to find the best ways to help him are such a blur at this point.  I think we are moving in the right direction with his therapies, but it seems to be a never-ending work in progress.

Now you might wonder where forgiveness comes into play here.  Throughout the years, there have been many situations where my son’s actions were not appropriate or “normal” in the eyes of others and he was lashed-out against with words.  As his mother, I was not happy with him being talked to that way by a stranger and it broke my heart.  Each time, in looking back, I probably could have been more forgiving of the person’s ignorance of our situation and could have had a godlier response.  However, I would also like to think that they could have been more understanding of others whose situation they did not know. 

During this Lenten season, let us remember to listen to God’s words and obey Him. We all have our struggles, but we need to remember to be forgiving of others.  Forgiveness comes from within and it helps to heal the hurting heart.  All difficult situations affect us in one way or another, but they do not have to define the person we are or become. I choose to be more understanding and forgiving than I have in the past and it feels good.  Open your eyes, ears and heart to God.  Can you try this as well?

Q:  Who do I need to forgive? From whom do I need to ask forgiveness?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023