Friday of the First Week of Lent - March 15, 2019



You gotta love that Matthew; he is so simple and clear. Today’s gospel says that salvation does not depend on our gifts at the altar, but on how we treat one another. Now, I do not think Matt is dismissing formal worship and the sacraments. They are certainly cornerstones of our faith. But Matt’s message is that they are not the endgame. They are means to an end; instill God’s grace so we can do good.

Ezekiel’s message is also simple and direct.  When the wicked man turns away from sin, all is forgiven and he shall live; but when the virtuous man turns to evil, he shall die because of his sins. The good news is that it is never too late.  No matter how much I have sinned, and regardless of how much I have selfishly chosen my own interests over others, the choice to follow Christ’s path to salvation is always before me. God will barbeque the fattest hog and tap a keg of Tank 7 for that prodigal son who returns to His house!

But Zeke also drops a bummer. Regardless of how long I may have lived a virtuous life, those past good deeds will not save me if I stray from the path and do evil. His warning is clear – attaining salvation has nothing to do with a scorecard or savings account.

Taken together, Matt and Zeke tell me two things. First, my path to salvation has more to do with how I love others than simply attending mass and participating in sacraments. Second, God has a short attention span. I must never rest on my laurels or put off until tomorrow my love and concern for others. I must strive to live and love in each passing moment, for God’s judgment is in the here and now.

Q:  How often to I use my past good deeds to justify my bad ones? In what ways do we manipulate our relationship with God by “keeping score?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023