Friday after Ash Wednesday - March 8, 2019



Fasting…Just the thought of it makes me hungry. Except for fish sticks, I had way too many as a kid on Fridays during Lent. Sometimes I find the scripture readings at mass pretty straightforward and other times a little esoteric. Today’s readings from Isaiah 58:1-9 and Matthew 9:14-15, are definitely the latter.  However, digging deeper, I discovered that these more obscure readings can be very rewarding.

I remember an exercise we would do during one of my theology classes at Rockhurst High for the daily readings. The idea was to take a reading and apply it to today. We would start with the historical context, understand the use of language and then put a modern spin on it. So, boiling this down to basics we have the prophet Isaiah, in essence, rebuking the people’s hypocritical, formal fasting.  He asserts that the key to fasting is making a change from within, reforming our way of life and the way of life for those around us. Matthew concurs that with the New Covenant fasting will be different than before. 

What is fascinating to me is how often all of us think of fasting as “giving something up” or “depriving ourselves.”  However, in today’s readings fasting is really about changing your life or changing your perceptions for the better. Once this has been accomplished, then you can take the next step and apply it to society around you.  Doing so, according to Isaiah and Matthew, ultimately brings you nearer to God.

The challenge for you and me is this: decide from what you would like to fast and then pick something you want to change. Perhaps it is very simple, or maybe it is complex.  For example, while we are “starving” ourselves from chocolate, wine, or diet coke; every time we see, smell, or think of those things we reaffirm that, “I am going to be a better _____” or “I am going to change ________.”  Then we apply those affirmations to our everyday life.  And BAM!  We just made the world a better place and all of us have grown closer to God.

Q:  When tempted by what you have chosen to give up, how will you fill in the blanks? “I am going to be a better ______.” “I am going to change _____.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023