First Sunday of Lent - March 10, 2019



I work best writing things out first and then typing from my paper. So, when I “randomly” skipped through my piles of notepads and settled on the one at the bottom of the pile, I realized there was a good reason I chose it to compose my thoughts. The top pages still had my notes from a work presentation I gave on happiness. I am blessed to have what I consider a dream job, which includes giving talks on happiness and other such positive topics. Of the ten happiness insights from this presentation, what stands out for me is that half of our happiness we can “control” and that our life circumstances do not determine our happiness.

As I take in today’s readings, so many beautiful words jump out at me and speak of happiness, despite some dire life circumstances, such as oppression and hard labor. Imagine a land flowing with milk and honey and making “merry over all the good things, which the Lord, your God, has given you.”


How beautiful are these words from Psalm 91, “For to his angels he has given command about you, that they guard you in all your ways.” How can I not walk through my day in complete happiness? I am guarded by angels. When I am in trouble, the Lord is with me.


The gospel reading reminds us that the devil left Jesus to await another opportunity for tempting. I am thankful to God for the life I have been blessed with, but sometimes I am tempted and I struggle. During this Lenten season, I want to journey and be led by the Spirit. I want to call upon the Holy Spirit to remind me that God is with me when I am in trouble and to walk happily knowing that angels guard me in all my ways. I want to envision a land of milk and honey and be grateful for all the good things God has given me. I want to hold happiness in my heart.


Q: Look back and examine your day. Or if it is morning, recall the events of yesterday. What brought you happiness? Thank God for these things or people. Then ask God to walk beside you tomorrow/today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion of the Lord (Good Friday) - April 7, 2023

Monday of the First Week of Lent - March 11, 2019

Monday of Holy Week - April 3, 2023